Tuesday, November 6, 2012

2 for Tuesday! The hypochondriac and the 1 minute diagnosis

Patient comes in today with a history of GI bleed and as I am going through her H&P, she asks me various questions about her condition but as I was ready to finish up the H&P, this is what she asks me:

Patient: Now I've heard that people can get allergic reactions to the flu shot if they're allergic to eggs, is that true?
Me: Yes, there is a possibility.  Generally if people are allergic to eggs we may suggest that they don't receive the flu shot.
Patient: So I just received the flu shot and I have a question.  The morning before I received the flu shot I was eating eggs and it didn't taste good to me.  Will I have a bad reaction?
Me: :|

Attending was telling us about an email he received which has a daily (weekly?) case which challenges the physician to diagnose within a minute.

Attending: I got this email today with a "diagnose within a minute" case.  I was reading it and it started with, "30 year old woman cannot swallow meat".  I thought to myself, "Nope, diagnosis over!"

No comments:

Post a Comment